Being the literal thinker that she is, Ellany just followed directions. And pulled the fire alarm. At church.
The alarm sounded. The calm computerized voice came on, advising everyone to leave the building. I'm not exactly sure what else she said, because I was frantically trying to find someone who could turn the thing off. Church had just ended and the hallways were full of people. I hurried past them all, pulling a crying Ellany with one hand and Ryker with my other hand. I met the bishop as he came rushing to the scene, and he assured me that he would take care of things. He didn't scowl at me or look angry, so that was good.
We couldn't do anything to help, Ellany was crying and I was embarrassed...so we left the building. The alarm was still going as we left. A couple blocks away, the fire truck went racing past us toward the church with lights and sirens blaring. Oops.
Adam and Brynn stayed home today, so they missed the fun. But after telling Adam about it, I found there is one more reason why this scenario was inevitable. He pulled the fire alarm at school when he was in first grade. It must be genetic.





I'm sorry, but your story just made me smile! Ellany is such a little sweetheart. I'm sure it was stressful at the moment, but a good story to tell later.
ReplyDeleteWhen my daughter was in Kindergarten or 1st grade, I received a phone call from a 911 operator to see if we needed assistance. "Ummm ... noooo...thank you...?" They were having a slow day so were just checking? She said they had received a hang-up call from our number & that's why she was calling. I told her I didn't call but that my daughter had been playing with the phone & must have dialed the number by mistake. She said OK but told me an officer was already on his way & to just let him know what happened. I guess they have to check just to make sure everything really is OK. I no sooner hung up when the police car pulled up in front of our house. Yikes! What would the neighbors think? I told him what happened and he asked to speak to my daughter. She was suddenly very shy but she did come to the door to see him. He asked her if she had learned about 911 in school and she told him she had. He explained that that number was only to be called in an emergency because if he was busy visiting people who did not have an emergency then he would not be able to help those people who really needed help. She agreed that she would not call again unless there really was an emergency. Up until then I wasn't aware that they had talked about this in school. The officer was so nice and understanding but I wondered how many other 911 calls had been generated because of the information the kids got at school that day. Now my daughter is 30 and will be having her second baby on March 6th but this is still a funny story we retell when we all get together. :D
ReplyDelete