Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Sleep Study

For several years now, we have known that Brynn always snores. More recently we realized that she always breathes through her mouth, because she "can't get enough air" when she breathes through her nose. She also constantly sounds congested. So, I took her to an ENT specialist who confirmed that Brynn has "HUGE tonsils". This implies that her adenoids are also enlarged, which would explain her symptoms. The doctor was concerned about the possibility of Brynn having sleep apnea, so we scheduled a sleep study.

Brynn & Adam arrived at the sleep clinic at 8pm. There was an extra bed for Adam to sleep in the room with Brynn. She was attached to 25 electrodes and a couple other devices to monitor her brainwaves, eye movement, oxygen level, air flow, and muscle movements. Brynn was so brave!! I can't imagine how she managed to sleep with all of that stuff attached to her. But she slept until 4:30am...long enough for them to get the data they needed.

The results of the study will determine if Brynn will have her adenoids AND tonsils removed, or just her adenoids. Apparently these organs are like the appendix...you can live just fine without them! We should be scheduling surgery soon. Brynn is excited about the prospect of eating lots of ice cream after surgery!

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I am impressed she slepped with all of that. It is a good thing though. It will be so good for her to beable to take care of that stuff. I too would love the ice cream after-that is my kind of girl~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Brynn! Ice cream or not, surgery isn't fun. I love your new background. It's so fresh and springy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I don't know if I would be able to sleep with all of that stuff attached to me - that's awesome that she was able to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments put a great big smile on my face!! Thanks for stopping by! :0)