Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ryker's FIRST WORD!!!!!

Should I add a few more exclamation marks to the title so you can tell I'm excited? At 2 1/2 years, Ryker has spoken his first word..."pop"! Up to this point, his means of communication have been grunting, yelling, taking us to things he wants and signing two words - "more" and "eat". Within the last few weeks, Ryker has been imitating lots of noises and started waving bye-bye. So we are seeing lots of communication progress!

Recently I had heard Ryker say "pop" twice, but it was so unexpected and he wouldn't repeat it. He won't say it when you want him to - it is totally on his terms. When I got up from my Sunday nap today, Brynn was so excited to tell me that Ryker had said "pop" 52 times! So I got out the camera to catch him on video. We blew bubbles and tried to get him to say it for about 20 minutes...he said it once and I didn't get it on video! A few hours later we tried again, and after another 10 minutes of bubbles he finally said it again. This time I got it!

This first video is just blowing bubbles, but you can see Ryker sign the word "more" (when he taps his fingertips together). In the second one he says "pop" 3 times, and you can hear Adam making a popping noise. Yippee!!! Hopefully, more words will be coming soon. :0)

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that is awesome. I have a friend here in Ocala who's daughter just got diagnosed autistic... I am going to share your email address with her. I hope all is well with you guys.
    Lots of Love
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting! I am sure you can't find a font big enough or even the words to express your feelings! Yeah!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments put a great big smile on my face!! Thanks for stopping by! :0)