I saw this ruffle cake on Martha Stewart's website over a year ago, and have wanted to try making one ever since. When I saw this tutorial on YouTube recently, I knew it was time! I made the frosting my favorite color, robin's egg blue. (It's pretty cool when your favorite color shares your name!)
On to the cake...
I purposely made my ruffles a bit more random than Martha. It makes them look more "ruffle-y"!
The cake is lemon, and I think the yellow adds some nice contrast.
An important part of making this cake is the consistency of your frosting. If you make it too soft, you will get very droopy ruffles. Also, this design takes a lot of frosting. I made 1 1/2 batches of buttercream and used all of it!













Wow! This cake looks amazing! Love how it turned out! :)
ReplyDeleteI would love it if you shared this at my {nifty thrifty sunday} linky party on Sunday!
xoxo,
Vanessa
Your cakes are always so impressive. I love the look of the ruffles.
ReplyDeleteI am officially in LOVE with this cake! If I still lived in FL, I'd pay you to make me one for tomorrow! :) My cake just came out of the oven and I know it will not look anything like yours when I am done!
ReplyDeleteOh my word, I made this cake a month or so ago and it was a DISASTER. Like, worst baking I have ever done in my life.
ReplyDeletehttp://tamingmonsters.blogspot.com/2011/06/you-ever-see-baking-disaster-this-bad.html
Yours on the other hand, pretty dang great. You go kitchen genius.
I LOVE THIS!! I made this exact cake...color and all for my Princess' birthday...she is in love with what I call Tiffany Blue! I am now a frosting snob because of this amazing frosting! I am your newest follower! I would love it if you stopped by and check out my blog, if you like what you see become my newest follower!
ReplyDeleteWow, this is really pretty. I wish I had the patience to make a really beautiful cake like this. You did a great job, and I love this color.
ReplyDeleteCheers,
Tracy Screaming Sardine
I have been dying to try this! Yours turned out perfect!
ReplyDeleteWOW!! THis looks so beautiful and SO yummy! I'm impressed!! Just dropping in from TT&J :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful job! I just find you at TTJ.
ReplyDeleteI'd love for you to share it at my link party...
Lovely!
thirtysixthavenue.com
I've always wanted to try a ribbon cake too! It turned out lovely. How long do you think it took you?
ReplyDeleteI would love it if you would share this on my July "It's a Celebration" link party. It's beautiful!
Christina
www.inspirationforcelebration.com
This is beautiful!!! I love everything about it!!!
ReplyDeleteladeedacreations.com
Oh that is super fabulous! I am jealous that I am not that good! Perfect color of blue too!
ReplyDeletei love ruffle cakes so much! this is adorable!!
ReplyDeleteLooks beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful cake. I love the ruffles.
ReplyDeletei'm horrible with non-fondant cakes, this is amazing, maybe one day i'll be this good :)
ReplyDelete