Yesterday Adam and I went on an outing with Brynn - her early birthday present. We went to Homosassa Springs wildlife state park, on the Gulf coast about 1 1/2 hours west of us. We were outside a lot and it was a COLD day by Florida standards (40's-50's?). I froze while Brynn refused to even wear a jacket! That girl is never cold. Our main reason for going to Homosassa was the manatees. They are gentle, slow moving, endangered creatures. Manatees are usually found in the coastal waters off southern states, from Louisiana to the Carolinas. But in the winter they all head to Florida rivers because they can't survive in cold temperatures. All Florida springs stay a constant 72 degrees year round. We watched feeding time from the underwater viewing area, which was my favorite part. The park also had a reptile house with native species, most of which Brynn could identify by name. She thought every creature was "cute" - even the scary diamondback rattler and fat cane toads. This was the kind of day that Brynn loves...lots of wildlife and mom & dad all to herself! :0)
George the park volunteer, feeding sweet potatoes to the "girls".




We had a fantastic time together at the springs. I enjoyed watching Brynn but I was touched as I watched Robin with Brynn. Brynn seems so confident in her knowledge of Florida's wildlife etc. Robin was right next to Brynn the whole time. She is such a great mom and is always talking to her, reinforcing things that are true, educating, praising, protecting, encouraging, be-friending and loving Brynn. I think the confidence Brynn has is in direct proportion to her mother's love. Robin's a great mom to all the kids and I have learned what a great parent should be by watching her.
ReplyDeleteGod is so good to have given me these great children and a beautiful wife to watch out for them. She's a great person and because of it she loves easily. I sincerely do love her and cherish her. I'm totally jealous of myself.
Adam, what a great tribute and all so true. I think it is wonderful that you are both able to take some time to just spend with Brynn. With your situation, I am sure she has tons of responsibility and probably has to take the back burner more than any of you like. You are both amazing parents to make sure she gets some special alone time with you. From the time I met her, I knew she was a very special and sweet girl. You are all very blessed to have one another. I'm also glad you are close to grandparents who can help out with Ellany and Ryker. I do, however, wish you were closer. I think it's great you got to see the manatees. I know, Robin, that they have always been a favorite. Whenever I see them I tell my kids how much you love them.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the compliments!! Brynn is an amazing girl, so loving and accepting. I wish days like this with her were not so rare.
ReplyDeleteIt makes me happy that Brynn loves wildlife even more than I do. And yes, Jackee, I do still have a soft spot for manatees. :0)
I'm glad you guys were able to have a fun day with Brynn:) Aren't manatee's awesome! When I was a kid, my cousin's in Utah thought that manatee's were an animal that I made up:) See you guys on Saturday.
ReplyDelete