Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Flood

Sunday night I went to bed thinking all was right with the world. At 12:30am, Ryker sounded one of his usual wake up calls. I jumped out of bed to head to his room....and was shocked to find myself standing in a half inch of WATER!!!! (This can be especially disconcerting when you are half asleep.) I yelled to Adam, ran to help Ryker, and soon discovered that our bedroom and half the kitchen was flooded. Apparently the toilet had been overflowing since Adam came to bed - only 40 minutes before - and he quickly fixed the source of the problem. For the next 3 hours we cleaned up this nightmare of a mess! In our initial panic, we threw every towel we could find on the kitchen floor to keep the water from spreading. Then Adam got out his shop vac and started sucking up the water, which worked great. I was completely overwhelmed with the mayhem (lack of sleep probably added to this feeling...)! Most of the soggy mess came from the bedroom and hall closets - boxes of Brynn's outgrown clothes (saved for Ellany), scrapbooking stuff, boxes of clothes and other stuff to sell on eBay, plus food storage under the bed. We had to string up rope across the garage to hang up all the clothes and towels to dry. So I finally went back to bed at 3:30 and had to get up at 6:00 to get the girls ready for school. FUN. I am still rather grumpy about the whole incident, so in an attempt at self therapy I am going to write a list of things I am thankful for:
  • I am thankful (for once!) that Ryker woke me up at 12:30. If he had slept through the night, our entire house would have been swamped by morning.
  • I am thankful that Ryker slept the entire time the noisy shop vac was on, and his bedroom is right next to ours. A miracle!
  • I am thankful (for once!) that we don't have carpet in our bedroom. We have terrazzo flooring - basically fancy concrete.
  • I am thankful that our computer lives on the desk, not on the floor.
  • I am thankful we own a shop vac.
  • I am thankful for my washing machine.
  • I am thankful none of my photos were ruined.
  • I am thankful I could come home and take a nap after the kids were all at school.

To end this post on an interesting note, Ellany just came in to show me the glasses she drew on her face with a black pen. Gotta go!

5 comments:

  1. That's miserable I'm sorry! I'm glad it wasn't worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude and that you look for the good you can find in a bad situation. I should try to do that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Robin--what a good outlook you have! What a bummer that that happened! Glad you were able to fix it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are amazing. Great attitude!
    I love how creative kids are with markers..especially the permanent ones! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe the toilet can make that big of a mess in that short of time!! Holy Cow! You guys knew way better what to do than I would've. All's I wanna' know is were there any tears at 12:30 am? That's a good enough excuse & late enough night that crying should've been allowed. Glad everything seemed to be salvagable....what a scare.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments put a great big smile on my face!! Thanks for stopping by! :0)