Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Death Of A Camera

There seems to be a strange connection between our family, Disney World and water. When combined, these 3 elements produce unpleasant results. I haven't figured out the reason for this, but I have noticed an unsettling pattern. The evidence...

1. The Fountain Incident: We were celebrating Ellany's 6th birthday at Magic Kingdom. She jumped into a fountain fully clothed - which I guess is better than her stripping first! She was wet almost up to her waist, and remained that way the rest of the day.


Scene of the infamous "fountain incident"

2. The Shoe Incident: A year later, we were at the Magic Kingdom again to celebrate Ellany's 7th birthday. I had learned from the fountain incident, and brought extra clothes for Ellany. But this year she tried something new! As we sat at a table near Cinderella's castle, I saw something pink go flying over my head...and realized Ellany had just thrown her shoe into the moat!! I barely had time to stop her from lobbing the second shoe. Of course, saving the remaining shoe didn't do much good. You can't get very far on one shoe. But a kind Disney employee saved us with a free pair of Mickey Crocs.


Shoe. In. Moat.

3. The Camera Incident: Nope, not Ellany. This time it was me!! Today I braved the huge Spring Break crowds at Magic Kingdom with my girls. After a fun day we were ready to go home. But first, I wanted to get a photo of the 3 of us with the castle in the background. There is a great spot for photos on the bridge to Tomorrowland. I positioned the girls on the side of the bridge, with the camera hanging off my wrist by the strap. Somehow the camera swung through the bars of the siderail, slipped off my wrist and landed in the water below. Kerplunk. When they heard about our plight, several Disney employees gathered and gazed down at the camera with us. The view screen glowed back at us from the black water. Nobody knew a way to get the camera out - not that it was salvageable, anyway! So we left the camera to sleep with the fishes and went home.

Is the universe trying to tell me something? Should we avoid all fountains, moats and bridges while at Disney? Or is my life destined to be a series of anecdotes that are perfect for a blog post??

2 comments:

  1. Oh No! I hope there weren't too many pics on there! What a way to end the day! Hopefully the rest of the day went well enough to make up for the ending :p and hope you guys are doing well! I think of you often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks! Too bad you didn't get a free camera like you got free crocs! What a bummer.
    Hey I need to call you. You still planning on homeschooling Brynn? There is a big homeschool convention the end of May. You may know about it, but I wanted to tell you about it if you didn't. I hope to go. I need to call you. I will try and get in touch with you this week:) We need to catch up anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments put a great big smile on my face!! Thanks for stopping by! :0)