Sunday, July 17, 2011

{Heath Cake with Toffee Sauce}

I celebrated a BIG birthday yesterday.
(It starts with a 4 and ends with a 0.)
If I think about it too much, I feel old.

So I decided not to think about it, and make myself a cake instead...


When I was little, I would always ask my mom to make me a
chocolate cake with chocolate frosting for my birthday.
It is still my favorite, but this year I made it even better!


I added Heath bars and toffee sauce.
 'Cause it's my birthday.
And I can make toffee sauce if I want to.


 I made my favorite chocolate cake recipe and topped it with this:
 
Heath Bar frosting 
1 quart heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup sugar
4 Heath bars (crushed)


Whip the cream, cocoa and sugar (about 3 minutes with hand mixer). Fold in Heath bars. Reserve 1/2 bar to sprinkle on top.

Toffee Sauce
3/4 cup corn syrup
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
7 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Place all the ingredients in a saucepan over high heat and boil for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring regularly.

Getting older is a great reason to make cake. :0)

Somewhat SimpleTuesday To Do Party


16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being married to the local "Cake Lady!" I don't like toffee by itself so I didn't think I was going to like this cake.... but WOW!!! WAS I EVER WRONG! This was soooo good. I mean I'm even jealous of myself!! You could slip this cake into the menu at Cheesecake Factory (my favorite restaurant)and everyone would think it was world class quality.

    Happy 39thish Birthday!!
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks AMAZING. Oh, gosh. I want some now!! Thanks for posting!

    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com
    {Sweet Treats Thursdays}

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cake looks so yummy! Hope you had a good birthday:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man! I don't think weight watchers would endorse this but I'm going to have to try it anyway! I love heath bars and this just looks amazing! Thanks for sharing and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy BirthdaY!!! What an incredibly decadent looking cake! Would love for you to stop by and share this at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my yummy!!! I NEED to try this!! Would you be willing to share your chocolate cake recipe too?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you stopped by and linked this to the Tuesday To Do Party!!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds delicious with that toffee sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh delicious! This cake looks devine! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday!! What a great way to celebrate your Birthday! The cake really looks delicious!!
    Thank you for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband is a Heath bar fanatic. His birthday is coming up this month and I feel the extreme need to create this cake for him. Thank you SO much for inventing it!! Also I found you and your wonderful blog because of Pinterest. Pin All The Things!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...Pin ALL the things!! :0)
      I hope your husband loves this cake as much as I do!

      Delete
  13. Do you use granulated sugar for the frosting or powdered sugar? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments put a great big smile on my face!! Thanks for stopping by! :0)