I have been thinking about this for the past week. I saw a video someone posted on facebook, made by a dad with an autistic daughter. He held up index cards, one at a time, that told the story of their struggle with autism. I admired him for his efforts to increase autism awareness and get more autism research funding. But the very last card he held up just felt wrong to me. It said that he would do everything in his power to "fix" his daughter.
I left a comment on that video, and I am going to share it with you.
I said something like this...
I have two children with autism and can relate to everything in this video. But I personally don't feel the need to "fix" my children. Autism doesn't make them broken, it just makes them different. They are just the way God intended them to be, and a blessing in my life.
My feelings have progressed along our journey through autism. Having an eternal perspective makes a big difference. Of course I want to help my children reach their potential, and be the best they can be. Most importantly, I want them to be happy. And they already are. :0)






Well said. You are a huge example to me and always will be! Oh and stopped by your cake blog. Oh my creative. What a candy corn cake! IT did make me smile!
ReplyDeleteGood for you! Your sweet kids are exactly how God intended them to be!
ReplyDeletehi Robin i love your blogs ! i have three kids Bailey (NT) Riley classic autism and Erin with HFA love your blogs your cakes are amazing! ang your fa,ily is so lovely xx
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! Sounds like your family is similar to ours. I'm glad you found me and enjoy my blogs! :0)
DeleteNot broken at all.
ReplyDeleteYou are absolutely correct... Your children/all children = 100% blessing!
xo
Amen Sister! That Eternal perspective sure makes a difference.
Delete