Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ryker Goes To School

Today was Ryker's first day of Pre-K at UCP. He will be attending Monday and Wednesday mornings, from 8:30-11:30. UCP stands for United Cerebral Palsy, but they provide services for children with any kind of special needs. This replaces the speech therapy that he has been receiving at home (one hour per week). You are probably thinking..."You put your 2 year old in Pre-K??". If Ryker were a typical child, I would not even consider it! But they can give him things that I can't - like social interaction with his peers. And a classroom setting that integrates the therapy he needs.

The teacher told me he cried in the beginning, but perked up after they had outside time. When I came to pick him up, Ryker didn't see me come in. I crouched behind him and said his name, wondering if he would even react. He turned around, dropped the toy he was holding, and launched himself at me! Even if he was just happy to leave, I was glad to be greeted with excitement! :0)

This is the second time I have been through this scenario. When Ellany was 2 1/2, she started attending an Early Intervention program. It scared me to death - sending my baby to school! But her therapist insisted that it would be good for her. I am so glad we made that decision, because Early Intervention WAS very helpful for Ellany. So, with that in mind, I am now taking Ryker to a similar program.

Ryker does not have a diagnosis yet. To be honest, I have been avoiding it. But he has an appointment with a developmental pediatrician for an evaluation/diagnosis in November. For the last year, Adam and I have been very aware of all Ryker's delays/behaviors and what they indicate. We are expecting a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Maybe we will be happily surprised...maybe not. Obviously, having a doctor say those words doesn't change who Ryker is.
It just makes everything so REAL.

After we came home, Ryker found half a banana on the table. He proceeded to chow down, peel and all! He didn't seem to mind the extra crunch at all...my cute little monkey!

4 comments:

  1. He is so cute! It sure makes things a bit easier when you have good teachers that support and help you with the things that our kids need. That is great that you will have Ryker in an early program. Good luck with the pediatrician in Nov.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is such a cute boy! I think that it is awesome that you put him through school so young :) I still can't get over Ellany being able to read so young! You are awesome parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a big day! I hope things continue to go smoothly for Ryker and for you. Kate would be right there with him and his banana! They are still her very favorite thing in the world to eat! (well, next to candy) I'll be thinking of you in the month of November...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments put a great big smile on my face!! Thanks for stopping by! :0)