
Recently, I have been taking the kids to swim at a friend's neighborhood pool. While at the pool, Brynn always hunts for insects in the water so she can rescue them. She enlists 5 year old Saveyah to help, and enjoys this just as much as swimming! Yesterday the pile of rescued bugs included a huge black beetle. The beetle was dead, but it fascinated Brynn and she insisted on bringing it home. She wanted to start a bug collection, so she put the beetle on a piece of cardboard and hunted for pins. Since we couldn't find any pins, the beetle was put aside.
Later in the day, Brynn discovered that the beetle was no longer on the cardboard. It had crawled off and was very much alive! Brynn was so thrilled and informed me that the beetle had been resurrected! She immediately started planning to find out what it eats and got it a shoebox full of grass, leaves, etc. She even named the beetle "Fern" after a plant called resurrection fern. Her love for all living things seems boundless. I finally convinced her that we needed to let the beetle go, so he is now somewhere in the yard.
Good thing we never found those pins!!




Holy Moly...if it wasn't so sweet, I'd almost have to say it was creepy! How funny! I believe Saveyah has learned a few things about not being squemish, since hangin' around Brynn more...I think that's great! She'd love to hear this story too...might actually make resurrection more understandable. We've talked about it plenty lately considering grandpa's passing.
ReplyDeleteWe've loved having you guys over!